Thursday 16 November 2017

Task 2 - Landscape Creation in the Scenes 16.11.17

Landscape Creation in the Scenes

There are many ways I can create the environment for my scenes, but for this project I decided to go for a manual creation via the use of the Unreal Engine. I used their community website so help make he scene I am after.

Scene 1 and 3

The landscape settings
By adjusting the settings in the landscape I can create the map in any size I like. Like texture maps, the scale follows the power of two settings and the larger the scale the larger the map. because the scene 1 and 2 are small I only need a small map, so for the scenes I went for the 64x64.

The sculpting tools in Unreal Engine
With the layout done, I can now begin to sculpt the landscape to make liking. There are various tools that I can use, such as the sculpt and smooth tools to build up the ;landscape and alter its shape. This is a small landscape, so I do not need to do much to change the terrain. For scene 2 however, I will have to use a different approach.

Scene 2

A example height map
Because I am working on a bigger scene I will need a large landscape. But manually working on this would take ages so I would have to use a height map instead. For the height maps I have taken a example from the internet. I can also use the other software to create a more realistic landscape.

A height map imported into the viewport
 In order for me to import them, I first need to make them PNG. Once done they will appear as a green outline in the viewport. The problem with height maps is that the texture has got to be the exact same size when you import them into the viewport. Otherwise they will have errors. With the correct dimensions I can then modify them  in the landscape editor, if I need to make an other changes.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment